A set of controls, extensions and helper classes for Windows Runtime XAML applications.How do I use it?
Download the full source code
or just the snippet you find useful. Be sure to try the samples! Find me on twitter
to ask any questions.Features
Work in Progress
- A copy of the AsyncUI library - a set of extension methods for UI classes that add support for async/await to wait for events such as:
- Wait for a BitmapImage to load
- Wait for a Button or one of a list of buttons to be clicked
- Wait for a FrameworkElement to load, unload or become non-zero-sized
- Wait for a MediaElement to change state - eg. to start or finish playback
- Wait for a Selector (e.g. ListBox) to change selected item
- Wait for a Storyboard to complete
- AnimationHelper - two attached properties - Storyboard and IsPlaying. Allows to easily control Storyboard playback from a view model (note limitation - a single storyboard per control).
- AnimatingContainer - a container control that will animate its contents rotating or zooming in/out, eg. to make them feel more alive
- CameraCaptureControl - under development - currently supports displaying camera preview - ultimately it will look and work much like a regular CameraCaptureUI interface, but embeddable inside of your application UI layout
- CascadingTextBlock - a TextBlock replacement that animates the individual letters in a cascade - fading in while falling down into position, then optionally fading out while falling down from the standard position
- ControlExtensions.Cursor - enables setting a mouse cursor to show when hovering over a control
- CountdownControl - a movie-style control that animates a ring-slice shape while counting down seconds - e.g. to take a picture with a camera after a given number of seconds (supports async/await)
- CustomAppBar - a custom implementation of the AppBar that automatically handles the three gestures to switch IsOpen (WinKey+Z, Right-Click, EdgeGesture), adds a CanOpen property, so you can prevent it from opening and opens/hides with a sliding animation when placed anywhere in the app, so you can layer content on top of it
- CustomGridSplitter - a custom implementation of a GridSplitter
- DelayedLoadControl - given a content/DataTemplate - loads the contents after a given amount of time - e.g. to allow for staged loading of contents on screen
- InputDialog - a dialog control that takes text input
- ListBoxExtensions./ListViewExtensions.BindableSelection - allows a two-way binding of the SelectedItems collection on the Selector/list controls
- ListItemButton - a simple button control with Click event and Command property to be used inside of list controls (the standard button steals pointer capture from the List/Grid~Items so they can't be selected
- PieSlice - a pie slice path/shape given StartAngle, EndAngle and Radius
- RingSlice - a pie slice path/shape given StartAngle, EndAngle, Radius and InnerRadius
- RichTextBlockExtensions.PlainText - attached property that allows to easily single-way-bind plain text to a RichTextBlock (not really that useful other than for visualizing RichTextBlock styles in the sample app provided)
- TextBlockExtensions/GetCharacterRect() - an extension method that returns a rectangle that holds a character at a given index in the TextBlock
- BooleanToDataTemplateConverter - given two DataTemplates (TrueTemplate and FalseTemplate) - converts the input value to the given template. A different take on DataTemplateSelector.
- WriteableBitmap - a set of extension methods for a WriteableBitmap
- ColorExtensions - Conversions between pixels and pixel buffer types of byte, int and Color
- IBufferExtensions - Adds a GetPixels() extension method to the PixelBuffer property of a WriteableBitmap that reads in the buffer to a byte array and exposes an indexer compatible to the one of the Pixels property in Silverlight's WriteableBitmap
- WriteableBitmapSaveExtensions - support for loading and saving the bitmap to/from files
- WriteableBitmapBlitBlockExtensions - support for quick blitting of a full-width section of a bitmap to another bitmap of same width
- WriteableBitmapCopyExtensions - support creating a copy of a WriteableBitmap
- WriteableBitmapCropExtensions - support for creating a cropped version of a WriteableBitmap
- WriteableBitmapFloodFillExtensions - support for flood-filling a region of a WriteableBitmap - either limited by an outline color or by replacing a given color - usually a color at the starting position or colors similar to it
- JsonSerialization - allows to serialize a properly DataContract-annotated object to a JSON string or file or deserialize an existing one.
- XmlSerialization - allows to serialize a properly DataContract- or XmlSerializer-annotated object to a XML string or file or deserialize an existing one.
- StringIOExtensions - allows to easily read or write a string from/to file in a single call
- VisualTree helpers
- VisualTreeDebugger - provides a trace of the visual tree structure when a control loads, its layout updates or it gets tapped as well as allowing the application to break in the debugger if one of these events occurs
- VisualTreeHelperExtensions - provides a set of extension methods that enumerate visual tree ascendants/descendants of a given control - making it easy to do these operations with LINQ as well as simple ways to list controls of a given type or find the first control of a given type searching up or down the visual tree
The libraries are just a set of helper methods and controls that I found useful to fill the gaps in Windows Runtime XAML framework and continues to evolve.Likely Additions
- TransitionFrame - something similar to the one from the Silverlight Toolkit - to get nicer transitions when switching between pages.
- Pivot control - analogous to a Pivot control on Windows Phone or a TabControl in WPF.
- WebBrowser control - WebView + some UI feature like address bar, backstack navigation etc.
- WeatherAppTabControl - a Pivot/TabControl like control that mimics the one in the Weather App.
- Tim Heuer's and Morten Nielsen's Callisto - contains a host of controls (DateTimePicker, Flyout, LiveTile, Menu, SettingsFlyout), converters, Tilt Effect, OAuth helper, SQLite connection helper, etc.